Free Legal Advice



The simple answer to this is YES, but make sure you know exactly where you stand before any legal expert takes on your case.There are many organisations who offer free legal advice where certain matters are concerned such as housing, welfare and consumer related problems.
Many solicitors also offer free initial legal consultations to help you establish the route you need to take with your case before spending any money.However, it is not always easy to find out who you need to speak to. Here, you will be able to get some brief information and access to many of these organisations, as well as a selection of solicitors who can provide a free initial consultation or hold regular free legal clinics. Let us help you find an organisation who can provide you with free legal help:

Free legal advice from Solicitors

Solicitors who offer initial FREE legal advice*

Abney Garsden McDonald
Based in Cheadle Hulme, near Stockport in the North West of England, Abney Garsden McDonald ‘Free First Advice’ to give you the opportunity to ask questions and for Abney Garsden McDonald to understand your situation and decide if they can help you. This initial advice can also be carried out by telephone so no need to visit the office.

AGH Solicitors
AGH Solicitors in Bolton offer a free initial consultation where you will always receive fully qualified legal advice.

Betteridges Family Law Specialists
Based in Hertford, but helping clients across the country, Betteridges Family Law Specialists offer a free initial assessment of your circumstances.

Lawson West Solicitors
Based in Leicestershire, Lawson West Solicitors hold regular free legal advice clinics for family, separation, divorce and child contact issues.

Manor Law Family Solicitors
Manor Law Family Solicitors offer everyone a free consultation as they acknowledge that many people like the opportunity to speak with a solicitor simply to obtain advice about their legal position and discuss the options available, before they decide what further steps to take.

Martin Tolhurst Solicitors
Martin Tolhurst Solicitors are based in the South East of England, and offer a free initial consultation.

Setfords Solicitors
Based in Guildford, Surrey, the lawyers at Setfords Solicitors offer a free initial telephone consultation for matters relating to Employment Law. If it becomes clear that further assistance is required they will clearly explain any any future costs should they take on your case.

South Law
South Law are a law firm based in Aberdare, South Wales and offer free initial consultations in relation to Employment matters.

Thackray Williams LLP
Thackray Williams are a Solicitor firm based in Kent. For matters relating to Probate a free initial consultation is available to provide you with some preliminary advice and support.

Businesses can also benefit from the Law Society’s “Lawyers for Your Business” Scheme, where members offer all business enquiries a free initial 30 minute consultation.
Members are added to regional listings which are provided to businesses in the SME (Small or Medium Enterprise) sector looking for a solicitor. When contacted by the business owner, members agree to:

  • offer a 30-minute free consultation, which can be face-to-face, by email or by telephone
  • discuss their legal issue and outline the next steps that would be taken, and give them an estimate of the costs and likely time-scales
  • commit to responding to enquiries within two working days to ensure that business owners get the best possible service.

Source: Law Society February 2015
For more information visit the Law Society.

*Disclaimer: Information and offers of free consultations (as laid out by specific solicitor and solicitor firms) are subject to change at any time. is not liable where changes occur after publication and where has not been notified of these changes.


Consumer Problems

Consumers have rights and the law protects those rights when buying goods or services. Here are some companies you may need to contact for consumer protection advice:

Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA)
ABTA regulate travel agents throughout Britain and help to protect consumers by enforcing rules and regulations. They can offer advice if you are having issues with your travel agent.

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice can offer some basic free legal advice about your consumer rights and may also refer your complaint to Trading Standards to investigate on your behalf.

Consumer Council for Water
The Consumer Council for Water handle complaints relating to water or sewerage companies.

Office of Fair Trading
The Office of Fair Trading enforces consumer protection and competition law.

Health and Safety Problems

Health and Safety Law covers the safety and welfare of the general public and employees (Health and Safety at work Act 1974).
You can also check out the websites below for more information on your health and safety rights:

Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL)
The APIL website offers free legal advice and information on your rights if you have been injured.

Health and Safety Executive
The Health and Safety Executive aim to protect the rights and responsibilities of employees health and safety within the workplace.

Housing and Finances – where to get help

Citizens Advice
Contact your local Citizens Advice office for information and advice on legal matters, money and tax issues, plus many other problems such as age discrimination, sex discrimination and healthcare.

Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS)
Free, confidential information and advice for debt problems.

Financial Ombudsman
This is a free, independent service offering advice and information regarding financial issues between consumers and organisations who offer financial services.

Money Advice Service
Independent advice about money issues, such as loans, mortgages and pensions.

National Debt Line
Free debt advice over the phone.

Shelter      (Shelter Wales)
Shelter offer advice and information in relation to housing issues

Immigration and Asylum advice

Immigration law deals with the rights of non-EU nationals on entering and remaining in the UK. They may wish to do this for a variety of reasons ranging from business needs to family visits, or to claim asylum. Further information is available on links below:

Asylum Aid
Specialist legal representation for those seeking asylum in the UK.

Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
Ensures immigration specialists meet good practice requirements.

Refugee Council
Information and advice for refugees and asylum seekers.

Problems at Work

There are many statutory rights surrounding employment law and nearly all workers have legal rights. You may not be entitled to such rights if you have been employed for a short period of time, or are an agency or freelance worker. If you have experienced problems at work, and feel you may have been or are being treated unfairly, check the links below for access to organisations who can provide some free legal advice in this area.

ACAS (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service)
ACAS provide general information on employment rights. They can assist both employees and employers.

Citizens Advice
Citizens Advice can re-iterate what your basic rights are so you know if you have a case to pursue or not.

Equality and Human Rights Commission
The Equality and Human Rights Commission can offer advice about discrimination, equality and human rights.

Pay and Work Rights Helpline
This is a confidential helpline to provide help and advice on government-enforced employment rights, such as the National Minimum Wage rights and working hours.