Witness Support Northern Ireland
Victim Support operates a Witness Service out of several court buildings across Northern Ireland. Staff and volunteers of the Witness Service are trained to provide emotional support and practical information to witnesses, victims and their families. Where children are witnesses, the NSPCC are the lead agency for service provision, and do this in partnership with Victim Support.
The Witness Service is free and confidential and is available to prosecution witnesses over the age of 18.
The Witness Service can offer:
- Someone to talk to in confidence
- A visit to the court and where possible, a look round a court room before you are called as a witness
- Information on court procedures
- A quiet place to wait before and during the hearing
- Someone to accompany you into the court room when giving evidence
- Practical help, for example, with expense forms
- To put you in touch with people who can answer specific questions about the case (the Witness Service cannot discuss evidence or offer legal advice)
- A chance to talk over the case when it has ended and to get more help or information.